Indulging in the moments of times gone by.... 50's .... 60's style!

      I love the 21st century, but one of the things I sense that is holding many of us captive are the very things that make our life easier.  I can go through an entire day accomplishing great deeds with rarely a glitch of leaving auto pilot. Sometimes at the end of a week, I feel as though I am older.... for my memory is dull.  Not due to age, but comfort and ease of fulfillment with little imprint on my thinking.  This scares me sometimes: ok a lot, hence starting this blog and Facebook, just to take the time, to notice the little things that are truly amazing in our lives that say
"I am alive" !!   That comes with the moments, not the years.

     Researching is a companion to me and has been since a young age, growing up with few to no friends due to moving so much in my younger life,  my pen became my confidant and books my friends. Lately, next to cooking history, I am intrigued with a woman's day to day in the 50's and 60's.  (Upper-middle class, though today it would any class in the Western world due to the common place of dishwashers and washing machines.) Clothes, attention to detail, little distractions, several shops, face to face friendships. Love most of it.

     Recently I have been hooked on "Leave it to Beaver" for my bedtime story and have started enjoying the incorporation of breakfast with the family, not just the evening meal. That has been a challenge for me since I do not need to be up as early as everyone else, yet I have not minded as I thought I would.  The benefit of sharing 30 minutes in the morning with my family is like holiday, except they all leave and I get to stay back and plan out my own time for the remainder of the day.


     Another indulgence......working out with others.  I know it is not necessary, but very nice, and a great way to catch up with friends using 'real' face time as well as shopping.   I have not found one person yet who dislikes the idea of getting together for health, pampering and planning family meals.  Why do we make such a drudgery of these things?  They are fun if you take the time to plan based on your lifestyle allotments (time and money). Truly even if you do not cook well, or are not crafty, there are simple ways to be creative and relax while doing the everyday things with your unique stamp.  Pinterest is a testimony to this already.


       Sometimes I wear things that are vintage, but often classic style, simple dress, skirt, capri and some jewelry that makes me feel pretty as I go about my day, putting a lovely dessert together for the family.  Also, taking care of the afternoon snack as a meal for the boys, from wheat toast with Nutella, to fruit and cheese, to simple crepes with vegetables and cream sauce.

      Regardless of the day I do not skip out on my at home facials or sunbathing in the pool, and simply relaxing for 30-60 minutes per day so I am fresh in the evening.  Why fight the afternoon nap, just indulge in it or a little sun if you do not have problems with your skin. I am particular to the 20-30 minutes limit per day, and completely hydrate and oil myself up afterwards so as to have silky smooth skin.

Each day is a gift and when treated as such joy is found in the simplest moments. Remember to walk with purpose not hurried, hold your neck with dignity (less headaches) and smile. Indulge in the elegance of the day to day joys of caring for yourself and others.

Comments

Popular Posts