Packing for Maui

      Packing for Maui ought to be simple they say, all you need is a bathing suit and a few things.
 Ha, in the time of plenty, a few things can add up!!  If you live anywhere in the Western world and find that you have a choice as to what to pack, you are blessed,  for you have plenty.

I had planned on simplifying my closets, but that is my nemesis, I keep more than I ought to; just in case, you understand?

       Mentally, I have been packing for 3 days ok,  maybe 5.  I tell my husband "it's not really packing it's thinking about packing, it helps."  Yes, and no!!   I agree, I do a wonderful job of keeping to one carry-on bag, regardless of the length of the trip. This one is for 2 weeks.  

    Here is what I do, and it works, but it does not happen over night....., and for those of you that it does happen overnight.   I think that is wonderful and any insights you would like to share please do.

First, I must know the weather and have a general idea of activities or in some cases they are already planned. This is important!!!
For Maui, I will be in or on the water every day. I will body surf, sail, snorkel, kayak, and sun.  In the evening; who knows where we are going?  I have one evening reserved for a comedy magic show, and by reading the reviews I will need a light sweater, no problem. The rest is sunset type happy hour places so I do not need to fuss with reservations, line, nor food, it will simply be chosen by location. 

Most of what I will wear during the day needs to fit over a bathing suit and be suitable to walk around in and change out of a suit easily (i.e. parking lot if needed) without being arrested. LOL
Simple :)

Here is my list:

  • 2 tanks - one striped and one with design (so as not to show bathing suit too much)
  • 1 cami (black)
  • 3 short sleeve shirts, plain, I like Mossimo, they wear well  (I have a burnt yellow-orange, olive green, and mauve-ish, all look amazing on tanned skin)
  • 2 skirts    - one white to the knee , one purple above the knee, both with lining, both casual and cotton, not clinging.
  • 1 pair of white shorts
  • 2 bathing suits so one can dry, (remember it is humid ) 
  • 2 cover ups - one specifically for resort area (i.e. nicer), the other specifically to cover from sun like on a boat, kayak, etc. both very light and white and dries quickly
  • 2 summer dresses for anything mostly over bathing suit and walking around town if need be . One of these and one of the cover-ups will live in my beach bag 
  • 3 dresses for evening only . Not fancy, again cool, but in case the winds pick up nothing above the knee. One is a cold shoulder dress, the other two - string shoulders and have a design in case I wear what I am eating or drinking.
  • 1 maxi dress, this I wear on the plane, it is a long flight and on the way back is a red eye, keeps me warm.   
  • 1 Pashmina  beige to white (this will stay in the rental car)
  • 3 shoes - 1 black Croc flip flops (make sure they are new so they do not slip), 1 sandal, cute and comfortable neutral color, mine is sand and gold, one water shoe, mine are clear thong sandals in case of rocky area (i.e. snorkeling), but can be worn walking around as well. 
  • 2 Haman towels from Turkey, these roll small and are full size as well as dry quickly 
  • Toiletries all I bring are my shampoo, oil for hair, comb, toothbrush, lipstick, tide stick for stains, sample perfume. The rest I buy there with sunscreen. 
If I knew for certain two things, one mood, two how windy will the wind be?? I would probably be able to eliminate 2 shirts, and the shorts, maybe even the skirts all together along with the shirts., but there is something in me that does not feel comfortable not bringing any shorts, skirts or tops. But I would almost guess that I could get away without those things and just pick up another dress if need be.
This is where I confront the simple packer in me with my indulgence of wanting to be prepared for anything. Do I dare step out of this box and trust that in the end once I am there, it does not matter?
I know I am not the only one who comes home with clothes untouched. 

So here is my dilemma, of course in 2 days I will zip up and know my final decision:) I will post. For now this is what my dresser looks like with rolled up stuff. Minus the Haman's at this time, oh and my pink cold shoulder dress. :)



Comments

Popular Posts